Out & About Today Nashville Channel 5
Latest On Outvoices
Trending around OUTvoices
Disclaimer: This product has been tested and reviewed by our writer and any views or opinions are their own. Please note there are affiliate links and at no additional cost to you, we may earn a commission if you make a purchase.
A massage gun is a great way to relieve tension in specific muscles. We can do it from the comfort of our own couches while watching TV. The benefits of a massage gun can help you feel relaxed, feel calmer, improve circulation, and can relieve stress and tension throughout your body. It’s no wonder that we seek out full-body massages whenever we can.
I would love to say that I work out so much that a massage gun helps me loosen up the tight muscles from lifting all those weights. The truth is, I have pulled a muscle in my next twice just from shampooing my hair…Or there was that time I turned around in my chair awkwardly and pulled a muscle in my back. That actually happened the day before I got the massage gun to review luckily, the battery had a partial charge to it and I had my first opportunity to test it out.
First, let me introduce to you the B37 Massage Gun by Erkin Athletics…
What is the B37 Massage Gun?
Four Attachments for the B37 Massage Gun
The B37 Massage Gun is an ergonomic and percussive therapy machine. The handle sits at a 15° angle which helps lessen arm fatigue. The handle is also designed so that you can reach the hard-to-reach places that normally would require another person to assist.
- 5-speeds: the variable speed ranges from 1,400 to 3,200 RPMs. The lower speeds let you warm up your muscles and work through any sensitive muscles.
- 4 attachments: There are four different types of attachments you can use to work your muscles.
- Flat: The flat attachment is perfect for overall massaging
- Bullet: The bullet is great for zeroing in on specific knots, and is also perfect for hands and feet.
- Round Foam Ball: the foam attachment works best for all larger muscle groups
- Fork: this attachment is specifically designed for the neck and spine.
- Power: the massage gun delivers up to 56 pounds of stall force. What is stall force? Stall force is the amount of pressure you can apply to a massage gun before the motor stalls.
- 8-Hour Battery: The Samsung Lithium-ion battery provides plenty of power so you can really work out those knots. If you’re on the go, you won’t need to worry about recharging or running down the battery prematurely.
- Travel Case: Take your charged, or uncharged, B37 Massage Gun with you in the handy travel case that organizes everything neatly.
How Do You Use the B37 Massage Gun?
According to the information on their website, you should
- Turn the massage gun on before placing it on your body.
- Use speeds 1 - 3 for any muscle recovery and for speeds 4 and 5 for a soothing massage or pre-workout muscle warm-up.
- Glide the massage gun over the muscles and let the gun do the work. Apply pressure for added muscle relief.
- Breathe and relax and let the machine do the work. (in other words, if you’re tense, the massage will not work.)
Another step I would add is to make sure you know which attachment you need before you even begin step 1. This way, you don’t just turn it on, start massaging, and then realize you need a different attachment.
What I Liked About the B37 Massage Gun
What I love about the B37 Massage GunPhoto by Tyler Nix on Unsplash
There’s always the chance that you get a product that just doesn’t perform. I kind of knew that this was not the case when I turned on the B37. You could feel the power when you were holding it. In fact, it was so powerful I had it on the lowest setting and barely applied any pressure to my sore back. After a few swipes, I felt better.
The attachments are great and my two favorites are the foam ball and the flat attachment. They really promote muscle relaxation and work pretty well for me. To be honest, the fork scares me a little plus, I can’t really reach. I haven’t used the bullet yet because the foam ball and flat piece work great for me. Did I mention that they’re so easy to change too? You just pop them in or out—that simple.
Aside from the handy case, the battery is third in line because well, sometimes, you just forget to charge things. Hello, headsets anyone? I can use the massager for an hour or so and then put it away and use it another day.
What I Don’t Like About the B37 Massage Gun
What I didn't like about the B37 Massage Gun
It's fine when you are on the lower settings but when you get up to the higher settings, it gets a little noisy. Especially if you’re watching TV. If I need that much work on my muscles, I probably shouldn’t be sitting in front of the TV anyway. The lower settings work just fine for my muscles.
Also not a deal killer, but it has some heft to it. While the 15° handle does help with arm fatigue and wrist exhaustion, it’s still there especially if you have a particular knot to work out. Usually, I switch hands if possible or take a break here and there.
Is the B37 Massage Gun Worth the Price?
Prices for massage guns can vary and the B37 Massage Gun is decently priced compared to other massage guns. Considering the quality of the massage gun, all of the features, AND a lifetime warranty, I think it’s well worth the price.
Should You Buy the B37 Massage Gun?
Massage guns are perfect for anyone that is an endurance athlete, an avid weightlifter, or anyone suffering from tight muscles. The National Institute of Mental Health also discusses practicing self-care by using relaxing activities such as muscle relaxation. The institute also mentions using relaxing techniques for managing stress.
I would recommend the massage gun for anyone dealing with sore muscles and who may need relaxation in general.
What to Look for in a Massage Gun?
Speed and Power
When you are searching for a massage gun, you want to look for a gun that offers a range of speed and that has enough power to handle the stall force.
Size and Weight
Part of what I didn’t like about the B37 was the weight. It was a little heavy, especially for one-handed massaging. That’s why you need to make sure that the weight isn’t going to be too cumbersome and at the same time, it isn't too flimsy. There is no way around it but if you have a powerful gun, it’s going to be heavy or heavier. The size is a factor too. If it’s too large, it’ll seem awkward; if it’s too small, it just won’t get the job done.
Chances are, you’re going to want to take the gun with you. Having a nice travel case will make that a lot easier. You will want or need, something compact enough for those road trips and flights. Just don’t forget the charger.
Attachments make life and working out the kinks so much easier. While I really only use two, I can see where the four come in handy. Depending on how often you will use one, I would say a minimum of two attachments.
There's no shortage of massage therapists in Byron Bay that offers various types of services. If you're not familiar with Byron Bay, it is known as the rainbow region because of its inclusivity and history of being a mecca for LGBTQ+ visitors, particularly gay men.
The healing aspect of sensual massages, tantric massages, or bodywork can help individuals deal with reduced stress, anxiety, and depression, often improving sleep quality. Additional benefits are the elimination of sexual, emotional, mental, and physical blockage. Here are 3 massage practitioners that cater to men as well as an instructor that offers various types of classes and workshops.
Lets Be Well Counseling, Group Process, Bodywork
Photo couresty of Lets Be Well
Lets Be Well offers 3 types of services:
Counseling and Coaching
Therapy and counseling sessions to learn how to navigate life in a more harmonious way.
Gestalt Group Process
Therapy that is designed to focus and center on your awareness, freedom, and self-direction.
Offering sessions of Kahuna massage or Zen Thai Shiatsu
- Ceremonial Transpersonal Bodywork - With respect and reverence to the roots of Polynesian techniques and an ongoing love affair within the field of the transpersonal. With ongoing guidance from within entheogenic medicine, transpersonal bodywork offers treatment and experience that is profound and rich in ceremony and rite of passage. Grounded in the basic principles of Yin and Yang and the cycles of destruction, creation, embodiment, preservation, and release the application of touch, sound, rhythm, motion, breath, clear intention and focus bring about a heightened awareness and deep connectedness unfurls within both the giver and receiver. Approached as a whole body meditation and a practice in turning one's gaze inward the receiver is facilitated in exploring the complex layers of the body, mind psyche, and interconnected beliefs, emotions, and memories. It is with courage and commitment to using the mind to travel within the many layers of the body system that a profound deepening and unification of all parts of the human experience unfurl. Our breath is our anchor and our breeze from which we captain our vessel, our inner landscape and the many layers within is the infinite ocean from which we must learn to navigate with presence, courage, and commitment.
- Thai Shiatsu Bodywork - A fusion of Thai and Shiatsu massage, this treatment is therapeutic in nature and is offered as a clothed treatment. Delivered on a shiatsu mat on the floor the practice involves gentle stretching, cradling, rocking, rubbing, and shiatsu trigger point therapy. The treatment has been likened to receiving a 1.5-hour yoga session without you having to do anything except breathe and let go.
- Thai Shiatsu Floor Massage - a 90-minute whole body meditation. With this technique, your body is invited to find its own parasympathetic nervous system release. Thai Shiatsu Massage offers a deep rest of the entire body and nervous system.
Photo courtesy of The Healing Touch
The Healing Touch offers the following experiences:
The Sensual Experience treatments offer varying degrees of bodywork from full body contact to mind and body to deep tissue. There are also introductory options as well as services for the more experienced.
Similar to the sensual sessions, the traditional experiences offer sessions focused on relaxation, deep tissue, Swedish massage, Lomi Lomi massage, Reflexology, and Body Realignment.
Sessions are designed to explore connections with a man, learn to talk, discover boundaries, and reach a higher state of understanding.
Massage sessions that focus on couples whether it is one at a time, side by side, or a design your own couples experience.
Photo courtesy of Frank Massage
A massage therapy experience that blends, folds, and connects in a rhythmic motion. Learning to connect through breathing, the flow of the body and mind, and offering a new experience and freedom of fluidity and sensuality.
- Rebalancing and Deep Tissue
- Hawaiin Bodywork
- Tantra and Taoist
- Thai Yoga Massage
Kahuna Man Bodywork
Photo courtesy of Kahuna Man Bodywork
Kahuna Man Bodywork is where you learn the art of bodywork and massage. Classes are online or in person.
Kahuna Online Course
This is a workshop-style course where you will learn step-by-step how to perfect your form.
Stream bodywork technique content to learn the process of massage, health, fitness, and wellbeing.
Man Bodywork Workshop
Beginner's guide to bodywork in a workshop setting. This workshop is all video content with over two hours of bodywork content and various techniques.
Nude Oil Floor Bodywork
Use massage oil and learn the technique of floor massage without the need for a massage table. This course is perfect for couples to learn new techniques and make a greater connection.
Floor Massage Bodywork Routine
This course is all about floor techniques for massage and stretch routines. The step-by-step instructions cover over 40 different massage and stretching techniques.
Training Course Demo
This 50-minute video is perfect for those starting out in bodywork. Watch as the instructor walks a couple through a massage session.
We’ve certainly had to get a bit creative with date night ideas during the pandemic, even more so while colder weather keeps us from some of the great outdoor options available to us. Navigating safety concerns and social distancing can be distracting when out on a date, so a great option is a stay-at-home date. This lets you keep the focus where it belongs: on each other.
If you’d like to take a hands-on approach to date night, why not start by making your own massage oil? It’s simple to do and so easy to customize to your partner’s favorite scents. Then you can take turns helping each other relax and relieve some of the week’s stress. If you don’t want to jump into exchanging full body massages with each other right off the bat, you could start with foot or hand massages. You can even do this while hanging out on the couch, perhaps re-watching a shared favorite romantic movie. Or take turns pampering one another while you enjoy a few glasses of wine and have a great intimate conversation.
To make your own massage oil, you really only need two things: a carrier oil, which will be the base of the massage oil, and then a small amount of the essential oils to add for aromatherapy purposes. Grapeseed oil and jojoba oil are great options for carrier oils but my personal favorite is sweet almond oil (though of course, don’t choose this option if you or your partner have a nut allergy). Sweet almond oil is great for those with sensitive skin, and also doesn’t leave a greasy residue behind. You don’t need to make a large amount of massage oil, so 2-4 ounces of a carrier oil is a good starting point.
Next, you’ll want to choose your essential oils to blend in. A note here that essential oils are highly concentrated and so it’s important to dilute them correctly into your carrier oil. For each ounce of carrier oil, you will only add up to 12 drops of essential oil. NOTE: massage oil is for external use. Essential oils can burn and irritate when taken internally.
There are so many options to choose from when picking out your essential oils. Start by asking yourself what the purpose of the massage is going to be—are you looking to relax your partner? Or perhaps invigorate them for later activities? When I’m looking to relax, I love a simple massage oil of just lavender, but you can also add other calming scents, such as chamomile, cedarwood, or rose. For a more uplifting massage oil, try adding peppermint, any citrus scents, or ginger. If you’ve been working out and have sore muscles, mix a combination of equal parts eucalyptus, rosemary, and lavender.
Once you’ve selected your essential oils, you can blend them into your carrier oil and then bottle them. A small lotion bottle with a pump can be very handy to keep around, or even just a small bottle with a flip top. Make sure to label your bottles with the ingredients and dates. I try to use my oils up within six months, and so that’s another reason to make small individual batches.
I hope you’ll put together an oil or two to experiment with. You can even make a date activity of it, blending a custom oil for your partner and having them blend one for you as well. Read up on the properties of various essential oils and create a special massage oil for your partner’s current aromatherapy needs!
Sara Schuster is a queer community herbalist and medicinal herb farmer. You can find her classes, podcasts, and herbal products at FoxandElder.com or on Instagram @foxandelder.