Out & About Today Nashville Channel 5
Latest On Outvoices
Trending around OUTvoices
As much as you may think Cinco de Mayo should be the official National Tequila Day, it isn't which is lucky for us tequila lovers. That means you can celebrate extra special on two days of the year–technically more because there is also National Margarita Day!
There are a lot of tequila brands out there with some of the more famous Don Julio, Jose Cuervo, Casamigos, and Casa Noble to name a few. The history of tequila dates all the way back to around 250 A.D. but it wasn't until the 16th century that the Spanish conquistadors introduced the art of distillation. Mexican law dictates that tequila can only be made from the blue agave plant and from specific states of Mexico, similar to Champagne needs to come from Champagne, France.
Don't get tequila confused with its relative, mezcal. They are both made from agave but of different species. The processing of tequila and mezcal differ as well. Tequila is steamed and distilled whereas mezcal is cooked and wood-smoked and then distilled. Even the distillation process is different. Tequila is distilled in copper pots and mezcal is distilled in clay pots.
Take a look at these non-margarita cocktail recipes and give them a try. They're as tasty as they sound (and look).
The Salty Dog
The Salty Dog Cocktail
Photo courtesy of Pink House Alchemy
- 2 ounces of your favorite Tequila
- 1 ounce Pink House Alchemy Herbalicious Syrup
- 3 ounces Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- Topo Chico
- Fresh Crack of Salt
- Rosemary sprig
- Combine syrup and grapefruit juice in a glass with ice.
- Top with Topo Chico and a big crack of salt.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprig.
Pink House Alchemy is an LGBTQ+ owned and operated business located in Arkansas.
Villa One Palmilla
Villa One Palmilla cocktail
Photo courtesy of Villa One
- 1.5 ounces Villa One Reposado
- 1/4 ounce Lime Juice
- 3/4 ounce Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 ounce Ancho Verde
- 1/2 ounce Agave Syrup
- 1 Pince Salt
- 4 ounces Soda Water
- Shake first 6 ingredients with ice and strain into a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with cayenne salt and a dehydrated lime.
Mana Spritz cocktail
Photo courtesy of Teremana Tequila
- 2 ounces Teremana Blanco
- 2 ounces Lemonade
- 1/4 teaspoon Grenadine
- 2 ounces Soda Water
- Lemon wheel
- Combine Teremana Blanco, lemonade, and soda water in a highball glass with ice.
- Top with grenadine.
Agave Citrico cocktailPhoto by The Pop'd Shop on Unsplash
- 2 ounces of Tequila Blanco
- Mandarin Basil Syrup*
- 1/2 ounce Natural Lime Juice
- Citrus Shrub
- Pinch of Salt
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir for 10 seconds, then strain through a Julep strainer, and serve in Coupe glass.
- Garnish with dried mandarin.
The recipe is courtesy of Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences in Cabo San Lucas and the Museo del Tequila.
When is National Tequila Day?
National Tequila Day is on July 24th every year. Like clockwork. It's literally 24 hours of non-stop tequila. There are so many things you can do with tequila. Check out these top uses for tequila that DON'T involve drinking!
- Use tequila as a disinfectant. Yes, as the Forbes article states, it is possible to use it as a disinfectant and cleaning agent. Who knew?
- Cook with tequila like curing, grilling, or marinating. There are some that use tequila to cook their steaks, cure fish, or use it as a marinade. You just need to be mindful of the amount.
- Aid in digestion (okay, this one may involve drinking).