Celebrate World Gin Day by mixing up your favorite cocktails or by testing out some of these beauties. If you don't know, Gin Monkey organized this international event and it is held every year on the second Saturday of June. If you love to drink gin or if you're new to the botanical spirit, then you have come to the right place.
We love a good gin drink and can't wait to test out all these different flavor profiles. Gin and tonics may not be your thing especially when the tonic has that bitter bite. Luckily we have some friends in the gin business that know how to let their gins shine. It seems the top flavors for gin are cucumber, grapefruit, and mint. We have no doubt you'll find something that will quench your thirst.
Not only will you enjoy some classic cocktails, but a lot of these gin producers support the LGBTQ+ community year-round, not just during June and Pride.
Backyard Cooler Cocktail
Photo credit: Aviation Gin
If you haven't heard of Aviation Gin, then you'll be super excited to know it's co-owned by Ryan Reynolds. He once said he supports same-sex marriage because he's "not a monster." He goes on further to say he wanted his Deadpool character to explore their sexuality and be more LGBTQ-inclusive. How can you not love that?
Backyard Cooler Recipe
By Aviation Gin
- 1.5 ounce Aviation American Gin
- 1/2 ounce Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 ounce Lime Juice
- 1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
- Club Soda
- Combine all ingredients except Club soda into cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake, then strain into glass with ice.
- Top with Club Soda and garnish with grapefruit half wheel.
Bombay Sapphire Gin
The Sprout in Pisces Cocktail Kit
Photo credit: Cocktail Courier
The Sprout in Pisces Recipe
by Cocktail Courier
The Bombay Sapphire Distillery is known for its beauty as well as its amazing gin. It's a bit far for us to visit but luckily you can pick up The Sprout in Pisces kit and make up to 6 cocktails with it. Don't worry, if grapefruit (or dare we say gin) isn't your thing, Cocktail Courier has you covered. They have several kits with various spirits you can order and have delivered right to your door.
- 1.5 ounce Bombay Sapphire
- 1/2 ounce Fino Sherry
- 1/2 ounce Ruby Grapefruit Juice
- 4 ounces Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic
- 2 Dashes Orange Bitters
- 2 Dehydrated Orange Wheels, 2 Dehydrated Lime Wheels
- Chill glass by placing in the fridge/freezer or by filling with ice water and setting aside for 5 minutes.
- Juice grapefruit and set aside.
- Remove glass from fridge/freezer or empty ice.
- Pour Bombay Sapphire, Sherry, grapefruit juice, and orange bitters into a glass with ice.
- Slowly add Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic and lightly stir cocktail with bar spoon or teaspoon.
- Garnish with 2 dehydrated oranges and 2 dehydrated lime wheels.
Cucumber Lemonade Cocktail
Photo credit: Hendrick's Gin
Cucumber Lemonade Recipe
by Hendrick's Gin
Hendrick's Gin has been a long-time supporter of the LGBTQ+ community and has sponsored events year-round. The perfectly smooth gin is infused with cucumber and rose that balances everything together.
- 1 part Hendrick's Gin
- 1/2 part Lemon Juice
- 1/2 part Simple Syrup
- Top with Soda Water
- 3 rounds of Cucumber and 1 wheel of Lemon to Garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with cubed ice and lightly stir.
- Garnish with 3 thinly sliced rounds of cucumber and 1 lemon wheel and serve.
Photo credit: Cutwater gin
by Cutwater Gin
Another year-round supporter of the LGBTQ+ community, Cutwater Gin is located in beautiful San Diego California. The Cutwater Gin is made from 11 botanicals including the Torrey Pine, juniper berries, rose, and locally sourced coriander.
- 2 ounces Cutwater Gin
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 6-8 leaves mint
- 2 slices cucumber
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Lightly muddle the mint and cucumber, but don’t obliterate them.
- Add ice, shake until cold, and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with mint speared through a cucumber.
Madam Pattirini Gin
Madam's Hidden Cucumber Cocktail
Photo credit: Ogden's Own
Madam's Hidden Cucumber Recipe
by Ogden's Own
Ogden's Own Distillery styled the gin after Brigham Morris Young, the son of Brigham Young, the religious leader, and politician. Brigham Morris Young often performed in drag using the name Madam Pattirini, whose persona was an Italian Opera Singer. Madam Pattirini sang falsetto at many events for roughly 15 years.
- 1.5 ounce Madam Pattirini Gin
- 0.5 ounce Ancho Reyes
- 1 ounce Cucumber Juice
- 1 ounce Pineapple Juice
- 1 ounce Lime Juice
- 1/4 ounce Agave
- 1/2 ounce Ginger Syrup
- Garnish: Tajin Half Rim, Large Cucumber Slice
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir until chilled and strain into a cocktail glass garnished with Tajin on half the rim and a large cucumber slice
Portofino Dry Gin
Negroni Bianco Cocktail
Photo Credit: Portofino Dry Gin
Negroni Bianco Recipe
By Portofino Dry Gin
It's the Italy Riveria in a glass; made from over 20 botanicals that are locally sourced and handpicked. The bottle is an artist's representation of Portofino's harbor which shows colored homes, and rolling hills that meet the turquoise sea.
- 30 milliliters Portofino Dry Gin
- 30 milliliters Dry Vermouth
- 30 milliliters Bitter Bianco
- Fill a mixing glass with ice, add the three ingredients and stir for thirty seconds.
- Strain into an Old Fashioned glass over a large ice cube and garnish with lemon peel.
Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin
The Curious Jackalope Cocktail
Photo credit: Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin
The Curious Jackalope Recipe
by Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin
Gunpowder Irish Gin is distilled at the edge of a lake in a small Irish town and is made from 12 botanicals which include dried green tea. There's a lot going on with this gin due to the green tea, lemon, and other aromatic flavors.
- 50 milliliters Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin
- 20 milliliters Fresh lime juice
- 20 milliliters Fresh grapefruit juice
- 10 milliliters Sugar syrup
- Garnish with fresh mint and a generous grapefruit wedge and shake
Classic Gin and Tonic RecipePhoto by Vlad Tchompalov on Unsplash
Classic Gin and Tonic Recipe
by Clonakilty Distillery
The Minke Gin from Clonakilty Distillery is as sustainable as they get. The ingredients are handpicked in season and the base spirit comes from whey on their nine-generational family farm. The gin has a smooth and velvety texture and is named after the Minke Whale that is off the coastline where they collect the botanicals.
- 4 large ice cubes
- 1/3 Minke Gin
- 2/3 Tonic
- Add two slices of lemon or lime and garnish with mint leaf