OutCentral to award 'Autumn Honors'
As part of its third anniversary celebration, OutCentral Cultural Center is hosting Autumn Honors to observe recent cultural achievements of GLBT Nashvillians.
Autumn Honors will take place from 6:30-9 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9. The evening’s festivities will recognize individuals and organizations who have made — and continue to make — a difference in Middle Tennessee through visual and performing arts, literature and journalism, fashion, cuisine, philanthropy, education and athletics.
Past winners have included recording artist Mary Gauthier, chef and restaurateur Arnold Myint and news anchor Scott Arnold. This year’s honorees are: ·
- The Nashville Opera, for its ongoing community education and outreach efforts
- Covenant of the Cross, for its food pantry serving the GLBT community·
- Pam Sheffer, whose work with GLBT youth at the Oasis Center has led to the creation of the Just Us program
- Michael McDaniel, whose work with the Community Foundation continues to provide community-advancement opportunities
- Bill Tedder of the Smoky Mountain Rodeo Association, for ongoing community support
- Jim Schmidt, whose work on behalf of the Victory Fund helps qualified GLBT candidates seek elected office
- Kelly Fussman, Autumn Honors’ first youth awardee, who began the No H8 Club at Hendersonville High School
- Jason Fletcher and Julia McAninch, former board members, who are being recognized for their service to OutCentral
- Wresch Dawidjan, OutCentral’s Volunteer of the Year
"OutCentral exists to promote LGBT culture,” says OutCentral board chair Del Ray Zimmerman. “By honoring the people that strive to make Nashville a better place to live, we all realize what’s possible through creativity and hard work.” The event will be held this year at OutCentral (1709 Church St.) and will include hors d’oeuvres from several local restaurants and a signature cocktail. The 2011 drink sponsor is Cuestion Tequila.
Tickets for Autumn Honors are on sale for $20 each and may be purchased online at www.nowplayingnashville.com, through OutCentral’s board of directors or at the door the night of the event.