O&AN seeking full-time managing editor/creative director
Out & About Newspaper (O&AN) is seeking full-time managing editor/creative director, responsible for the editorial and creative direction of the publication.
O&AN is a monthly GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender) tabloid format newspaper, and is Tennessee’s largest and only state-wide GLBT newspaper. The company has been in business since Oct. 2002.
The managing editor/creative director is responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for overall editorial content and management of day-to-day operations.
- Develop editorial budget each month, set and enforce deadlines
- Assign stories to volunteer writing staff, follow up and keep staff on deadline
- Assist and manage overall newspaper operations, including layout production, preparing story order, gathering art for layout
- Manage the online content management system
- Edit all copy per AP style
- Write a minimum of one new story each day for O&AN Web site (Monday - Friday)
- Write and post breaking news on O&AN Web site as needed
- Review, edit, and post as necessary, news releases to Web site
- Prepare, edit and send out a weekly email “newsletter” to O&AN readers
- Prepare, edit and send out breaking news alerts to O&AN readers
- Write a minimum of three new articles for the print edition each month
- Take photos as needed
- Represent O&AN at community functions and serve as an ambassador to the community
- Cultivate and develop volunteer writing staff
- Manage daily office functions and keep office staffed during set business hours
- Manage Web site and adjust story flow and story order as necessary, including updating and adjusting.
- Responsible for maintaining journalistic standards
- Attend and manage staff meetings
- Maintain and post daily to FaceBook, Twitter and other social networking sites
- Other duties as assigned
At a minimum a degree in journalism is required, along with previous editorial experience. A flexible attitude, willingness to jump in and help is required. Candidate must be able to meet deadlines and because breaking news often happens, work in a quick pace, stressful environment. Candidate must a self-starter and self-motivated.
Additional skills that would be ideal would be to find a candidate that is also proficient in Quark/InDesign and Photoshop and Illustrator, with a solid grasp of setting up style sheets and master pages, solid pre-press and pre-flighting skills, to handle the design and layout of the publication each month.
Send resume and salary requirements to: Jerry Jones, publisher, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply no later than March 12, 2010.