Fashion runs wild at 'Unpredictable'
On July 17, scads of scantily-clad young gentlemen will prance across the stage of Play Dance Bar in support of Unpredictable, an annual fundraiser for the Nashville GLBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLBTCC).
This year's edition, titled "Wildly Unpredictable" is part of the Unpredictable franchise. It's raised almost $90,000 for the organization in the past five years.
The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. with a silent auction including items such as a set of Bridgestone tires, artwork and vacation packages.
"We've already raised silent auction items in excess of $10,000," Fluck says. "We hope to raise a net for the total event of $25,000 and have already exceeded previous sponsorship fundraising. We have an exciting show planned and expect a sellout crowd."
Models will strut the runway for nearly two hours of fashion from local designers and boutiques. Three rounds of underwear will be modeled before the winner is announced.
Designers for the annual fashion show will include Verandeno Designs and Tye Walker Couture.
For Sheika Taylor of Verandeno Designs, a fashion show is the perfect format to draw the different strands of the city's GLBT community together.
"Fashion inspires a lot in our lives, from self-expression to self-identification," she says. "It is a great vehicle for unity in our community and has been a wonderful and ongoing method for fundraising for the GLBT Chamber of Commerce."
Though the models are competing for the top prize, Taylor is simply grateful for an opportunity to demonstrate her talents without worrying about scoring the big win.
"I continue to participate because I feel welcomed, appreciated, accepted and it is just a lot of fun," she says.
Tye Walker also embraces the feeling of community fostered by the annual event, which serves as the NGLBTCC's lone fundraiser of the year.
"To me, the Unpredictable Fashion Show has always been very much community oriented," he says. "It not only raises money for the GLBT Chamber, but it also brings Nashville’s GLBT community together where we can appreciate each other's talents and spend an entire evening together with fashion and cocktails!"
Walker is excited to play his part in proving the wealth of artistic talent within Nashville's GLBT community.
"I think all the designers are completely different with completely different styles and completely different points of view," he says. "I’m looking forward to see the variety on the runway this year."
Bridgestone, GS & F, Level Wing, The Richards Group
WILDLY UNPREDICTABLE AUCTION ITEMS include:
* F. Scott's Wine Tasting for 10, value of $1000
* Full Size NFL Authentic Game Ball autographed by 4 members of Black Eyed Peas, value estimated at $300
* Mini St. Louis Rams helmet autographed by Jack Youngblood, value estimated at $70
* Devin Hester authentic autographed Chicago Bears jersey, value estimated at $300
* Set of 4 Bridgestone or Firestone passenger/light truck/SUV tires, value estimated at $1400 depending on tires selected based on vehicle fitment
* Margaret Ellis cufflinks
* Levy's Personal shopping experience for 10. Includes wine/cheese/$100 gift certificate and 20% off of all purchases and a gift bag.
* Couples Estate Planning Package from Papa & Roberts, value of $1000
* Lamps from Lumen Lamps, value of $235
WILDLY UNPREDICTABLE MENU (Catering provided by Bacon & Caviar)
* Mini skewers - fruit w/ vanilla-lime yogurt; assorted cheeses; marinated tortellini
* Butterbean hummus - served warm w/ homemade tortilla chips
* Finger sandwiches (on whole grain flatbread) - roast beef, smoked gouda, creole mustard; smoked turkey, guacamole, chipotle mayo, pepper jack; BTL - bacon, tomato, pesto
* Mini wraps - lemon-almond chicken salad
* Mini cupcakes - vanilla-orange; chocolate-strawberry