Out & About Today Nashville Channel 5
Happening in Nashville
Trending around OUTvoices
‘Twas the season of giving, and all through the town,
Not a drag queen was twirling, not even the clowns,
The tights were hung on the back of a chair,
In hopes that they’d never rip, run, or tear…
If you’ve been to a drag show or had access to the internet in the last couple of years, you’ve probably heard at least one drag queen raising cane about how expensive drag is to upkeep... So, in the spirit of giving, we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 things you can buy your favorite drag entertainer this holiday season.
- Purple Glue Sticks—The foundation of many drag makeup looks involves concealing the natural eyebrow by gluing it flat against the forehead using an Elmer’s disappearing purple glue stick. Available for $0.25 at Revel Haus, or similarly affordable at any local pharmacy, this drag stocking stuffer is an easy way to say, “I hate oatmeal brows...and I care.”
- Nail Glue—A simple and affordable stocking stuffer, having nail glue on hand will save an entertainer from many a last minute trip to the local CVS. Kiss Maximum Speed 3 Second Nail Glue is available on Amazon for $2.39, or you can pop into any pharmacy and find it similarly priced. Want to get your fave something a little stronger? Gorilla Super Glue (with Brush & Nozzle applicator) is quite popular as well, available on Amazon for $6.48.
- BatMe Lashes—No drag makeup look is complete without a set of long, fluffy lashes to bat at the menses, womenses, and themses, and Nashville drag entertainers are LOVING the “Velvet” style lash from BatMe Cosmetics. Now, BatMe isn’t local to Nashville, but it is a Trans-POC owned makeup company that has been very supportive of Nashville drag, so let’s show some support back! It doesn’t hurt that the lashes (and contour kits, and lippies, and eye shadows) are sickening! The “Velvet” style lashes are currently on sale for only $4 (reg. $7.99) at www.batmecosmetics.com making for a great, and cheap, stocking stuffer.
- Marley Tape—Despite the flawless illusion that all the hair you see on stage is literally growing out of the performers’ heads, most of us drag queens wear wigs, and we need a secure and comfortable way to secure those wigs to our noggins. The best way to do this is to use a stocking wig cap, and Marley Tape, a clear flexible vinyl tape that has some stretch and give to it. The adhesive isn’t as harsh on hair or skin as duct tape, and the stretch gives a secure yet comfortable base for wig installation. You can grab a roll for $10/each at the all new Revel Haus, located at 100 Taylor Street, Suite D5 in Germantown.
- Tights—No self-respecting drag queen has left the house without lycra on her thighs since she was 15...if she was raised right, and most of us wear at least 4 layers of tights to smooth out padding and give you the ooh-ah-ah Barbie leg sensation. Unfortunately, tights rip, run, and tear, and can cost upwards of $25 apiece. Capezio full stretch transition or footed tights are a great option for most entertainers, just make sure to find out your fave’s color and size. If you really want to make a queen smile, get her a new pair (or two) of Capezio fishnets. They run $28.50 a pop before tax. A broad selection of Capezio products, including the tights and fishnets, are available at Spell’s Dancewear at 708 51st Ave. North.
Vidalia Anne Gentry, photo by Cody Stallings Photography
- Morphe X James Charles Palette—YouTubers can be a real pain-in-the-ass, but every once in a while, a collab with a well-known makeup brand happens, and it’s just right. The Morphe X James Charles palette has almost every pressed powder color a drag entertainer might need to complete their look and is affordably priced at $39. You can pick one up for the drag entertainer in your life at the Morphe store in Green Hills, or at any Ulta location around town.
- Wigs—Not every drag entertainer wears wigs, but for those of us that do, they’re not cheap. Unstyled wigs run about $50 a pop, most entertainers stack two at a time, and paying someone to style the hair can cost an additional $150-200. If you’re looking for a show stopping gift for a drag entertainer in your life, a new styled, lace-front wig, will do the trick. Reach out to Ivy St. James on insta @jivy85 or Eldar Gorak on insta @gorak_eldar for more information and to see their fabulous work!
- Costumes—No one wants to see 50-shades-of-beige in a wig and makeup dancing around for dollars, so we need to get the entertainers up in some gigs! Costuming is likely the most expensive part of drag for every entertainer, with custom looks costing upwards of $300 for labor alone. If you’re going to be affected by Biden’s tax plan and want to purchase a costume for an entertainer outright, no one is going to stop you. But, if you’re bank account is feeling a little shy, purchasing a gift card or costume credit of a smaller amount with a local designer might be the way to go. Haus of Curio has been creating fabulous custom costumes for many of Nashville’s drag entertainers over the past few years! Check them out on instagram @hausofcurio. Alternatively, get in touch with Thierry Meisel, a drag queen and fabulous seamstress you can find on instagram @ThierryMeisel for more info.
- Photo Shoot—In the words of the great Alaska Thunderfuck, “do you think I look like this just so I can exist in your feeble memory? Take a picture, and I’ll last forever!” Great photography is far from cheap, but high quality photos are an investment every drag entertainer should make at some point in their career. These images will come in handy for flyers, promotional materials, and will make an entertainer look more “bookable” to show directors but can be cost prohibitive especially for newer entertainers. If you’re looking to splurge on a performer, this is one way to do it. Prices vary by photographer, but expect to spend around $200. Check out Cody Stallings at www.codystallings.com or Alyssa Barker on instagram @alyssabarkerphoto for more information!
- Skin Care—We saved what we think is most important for last. Taking good care of your skin is easily the best way to improve your overall makeup application, but like most things in life, it costs money. Thankfully, there’s a skincare line born in Nashville, made by a drag queen and makeup artist, and designed for people who regularly wear heavy makeup that works, and won’t break the bank. Revel Haus Skincare, which launched earlier this year, has a simple 6-step skin care routine that we absolutely love. $164 buys the whole line, which lasted us nearly a full 2 months, but if you’re not that committed yet, start with the cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. Revel Haus opened their store front in the Taylor Arts building (100 Taylor St, Ste. D5) late last month, so you can pick up the product in person, or order it online at www.shoprevelhaus.com. Don’t forget to use code HAUS20 at checkout to save 20% on skincare.
Whether you have the ability to support with your dollars, or just your applause and Instagram likes, most of us would be nowhere without the love and adoration of our audiences, so thank you! Wishing you all a happy and healthy Holiday Season, and a Happy New Year.
For those with a thirst to celebrate, Red Bull Unlocked is the key. In city after city, the most exciting bars, clubs, mixologists, performing artists, and more take over a local landmark building to showcase their signature ambiance while also collaborating for a must-see mashup. And now it's Music City’s turn to seize the spotlight, as the event brings 10 bars together in East Nashville’s Five Points neighborhood.
Fueled by the best of Nashville’s thriving music scene, Red Bull Unlocked has curated an eclectic night of show-stopping entertainment performances including a pop-up Whiskey Jam show, DJ sets, musicians, and more. The full lineup is here:
- Whiskey Jam (feat. Dozzi, Willie Shaw, and Johnny Hayes)
- A.B. Eastwood
- Daisha / Rap Girl
- Boom Bap (DJ Collective feat. DJ-Rate, Case Bloom)
- Whiskey Disco (DJ Collective feat. Coach, Jim O'Shea)
- Old Crow Medicine Show’s Jerry Pentercost (DJ Set)
- DJ Stretch
- DJ Griffin Green
- The Play Mates (Drag Show feat. Sasha, Vanity, Deception, Aura Mayari, Corlis Todd, and Carmin Triple C)
Counting down to the epic celebration, Daisha shares, “I never thought I’d have the opportunity to perform in so many of Nashville’s top spots all in the same night. Fans can expect a lot of bops and high energy. I want people to dance and have a good time.”
Ward Guenther, Whiskey Jam Founder, adds, “Red Bull has been enjoyed at Whiskey Jam since the very first night, so it's only fitting Whiskey Jam is enjoyed at Nashville's first Red Bull Unlocked. Looking forward to this!”
Red Bull Unlocked Istanbul
Photo courtesy of Red Bull
Local favorites including Pearl Diver, Tin Roof, Lipstick Lounge, White Limozeen, and more will join forces for one epic night. Full list of bars and partners below:
- The Dive Motel
- Lipstick Lounge
- Pearl Diver
- Play Dance Bar
- Rosemary & Beauty Queen
- The Stage
- Tin Roof
- Whiskey Jam
- White Limozeen
- Woolworth Theatre – Opening Fall 2022!
- Eleven Eleven - Opening 2023!
Date: August 21, 2022
Time: 6 PM – 11PM CT
Location: 1102 Forrest Ave, Nashville, TN 37206
Entrance: Ticked event
Rumble Boxing, the boxing-inspired group fitness studio, opened its doors for the first time in Nashville on June 20 at 609 Overton St, Nashville, TN. The hottest workout on the block is hosting its official grand opening from August 4th-7th with daily classes, membership specials, and prizes from local vendors. The new Rumble Boxing studio is currently offering a buy one class, get one free promotion for the Nashville community.
Rumble Boxing delivers 45-minute, 10-round, strength and conditioning group workouts, crafted around teardrop-style aqua boxing bags and high-intensity strength training circuits. This brings all fitness levels together to experience what Rumble is known for: combining the sweet science of boxing with high energy and positive vibes.
Rumble Boxing Fitness Studio
Photo courtesy of Rumble Boxing Gulch Nashville
This boutique fitness brand offers serious benefits like increased stamina and strength, with cardio that’s actually fun. The seasoned trainers at the new studio are thrilled to serve their local community while offering this fun, new modern approach to boxing and welcome members of all fitness levels to the Rumble family.
The new Rumble Boxing studio is owned and operated by Blake Baskin and Antonio Compton. With their background in the fitness industry, this dynamic duo is excited to bring their passion for boxing and group fitness to Nashville. As business and life partners, Blake and Antonio aim to create a strong community within their new Rumble Boxing studio and share their message of non-apologetic inclusivity.
Black and Gay-Owned Business
Rumble Boxing Store with Dolly Parton Mural
Photo courtesy of Rumble Boxing Gulch Nashville
“We own who we are, and this brand aligns with that perfectly,” said Antonio. “This is what we want to create and bring to this community: a fitness class that is designed for anyone and a place for people to be who they are. As a Black and gay-owned business, we want to help lower the division we see in the world right now. Our goal is to bring people together through Rumble, set everything aside, and have fun.”
To echo their message of acceptance and inclusion, Blake and Antonio commissioned a local Nashville artist to paint an 11 X 6-ft. mural of Nashville icon and philanthropist, Dolly Parton. The massive portrait features the country star in Rumble Boxing gear in the lobby of the studio.
The excitement and buzz around Rumble allowed Blake and Antonio to recruit top-tier trainers to head up the new studio, including Head Trainer Oronde Jones, a well-known celebrity trainer in the Nashville market.
Rumble Boxing Fitness Studio
Photo courtesy of Rumble Boxing Gulch Nashville
“Compared to other fitness classes, Rumble is a class you can truly get lost in for 45 minutes. With the dark room, you don’t have to worry if anyone is paying attention to you. The music is awesome and inspiring, and the beat drops right when you need it the most. Also, with boxing being a sport you can never truly master, you’re always improving and crafting your skill. On the floor, you’re consistently doing something new, which prevents you from ever hitting a plateau.” Said Oronde Jones about his favorite part of Rumble.
Rumble has massive brand loyalty and widespread appeal, partly thanks to attracting top names like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Kendall Jenner, Hailey Baldwin, Jason Derulo, David Beckham, and Kevin Hart to its studios.
About Rumble Boxing
Founded in New York City in 2017, Rumble is a group fitness concept delivering a mix (or combination) of boxing-inspired circuits and the transformative power of resistance training. Pro and amateur fighters glove up together, no matter their fitness level or skill, to reveal their inner fighter. The experience is a 45-minute, 10-round, full-body cardio and strength workout crafted around specially designed water-filled, teardrop-style boxing bags. Rumble was founded by Noah Neiman (former Barry’s Bootcamp Master Trainer, and cast member of Bravo’s Work Out New York), Eugene Remm (Co-Founder of Catch Hospitality Group (Catch Restaurants, CATCH STEAK, Lexington Brass), Andy Stenzler (Co-Founder Cosí, Kidville), and Anthony DiMarco (13-time IRONMAN, former Managing Director, Google).
Who would have thought that we would have to get through a pandemic in order to appreciate the small things we have, such as the ability to simply pack our bags and hit the road?
For two years, there’s been nothing left for us travel junkies to do but sit at home and try to find new destinations that we will conquer once we defeat what appears to be the biggest villain of the 21st century. But once that happens, hold your bags tight because we will be up for some of the most interesting travel experiences. Take a look at some ideas for your post-COVID traveling plans:
A Gay Cruise
One of the best options to have in mind when all of this passes is a good, nice and long (pun intended) gay cruise. Or cruise in general, for that matter. Bear in mind, social distancing will still be a thing in the post-COVID world. But COVID-19 likely doesn’t mean that cruises will cease to exist. On the contrary, though cruise ships will probably keep the number of passengers smaller than before, it is believed that they will become an even bigger hit in the following period, especially because they are all going to go a lot more environmentally-friendly. On the bright side, is there any better way of celebrating the end of the pandemic than by cruising around some magnificent seas, stopping by at great cities and having romantic dinner nights at nice restaurants?
A getaway in nature
On the other hand, there is always the option of stepping away from the hustle and bustle of large cities, and spending some time in a place that’s not only healthy, but also beautiful. Some of the destinations that plenty of people will look for are the ones that can cater for both peace of mind and amazing things to see or do. One such destination is New Zealand, one of the greenest countries on Earth right now. Not only will you be visiting the magnificent country that gave us the beautiful Shire from Lord of the Rings; this is also a destination that’s excellent for everyone who prefers relaxing to partying. If you’re up for some partying, you will be able to hit Auckland, while if you’re for something calmer, there’s plenty of amazing places that you can see and visit.
Dancing Around at Pride
Pride parades are also events that you want to have in mind for the post-COVID world. Such events have always been quite important, but it seems that they are now more important than ever. The virus has canceled more than 75 Pride parades all around the world, which is one of the reasons why we must support the ones that will see the light of day once the pandemic stops. Truth be told, the upcoming Prides will perhaps be the best Prides ever organized. Give the gays a couple of weeks of quarantine, then let them outside and see what kind of party they are able to throw!
A road trip
If you’re, as well, waiting for the day to wake up and say “long gone are the days when we were not allowed to go wherever we wanted?”, and if staying at one place gave you a lot to think about, then your first post-COVID travel experience should definitely be a nice road trip. You can practically choose which country you want to tour, and you can either take your own car (you have probably missed it so much), or rent one at your destination. Australia is an amazing country for this, though, as it offers the possibility of seeing the Great Ocean Road, which is an amazing thing to see and experience. On the other hand, if you do not want or cannot leave your country, you can also choose to go on a domestic road trip – there are amazing things to see in your vicinity as well.
Holiday for a single guy
If you’re single, or you’re traveling someplace with another single friend, then you should definitely organize a nice vacation for yourself or for you and your single friend, and hit one of the best European cities. Europe has been greatly affected by the virus, which means that now it’s time to pay it back and get it back on its feet by traveling there and seeing all the amazing things it offers. Any city you choose in Europe – you will not make a mistake. Apart from being able to see great landmarks, you will also have the chance to have a drink at great gay clubs and pubs, and join unforgettable gay parties. And if the gay scenery is not your forte, worry not, as Europe indeed has to offer so many different and magnificent things.